Saturday, August 29, 2015

Week 1: Storybook Favorites



I started out with the story book "Elephants of Indian Epics". I thought the title was very catchy and interesting because I always thought of elephants are mighty creatures. I used to be scared of them when I see them walking through the road sides with their care givers when I was in India.The title gave me an Idea that the stories are going to be about elephants. Even though I grew up in India, I never heard any of these stories. In the introduction, the author gave us a clear understanding of what to expect in coming stories. I really enjoyed the stories. I liked how the author took the story and narrated them as bedtime stories. He also referred to current day problems as bullying, respecting parents etc. He made reference to harry potter, which I thought was interesting.  I thought the layout on this story was pretty simple. It was not as attractive as its title or the story.
Google images: The Mighty Elephant
The next storybook I read was "Love Diaries". The title didn't give me hint that it was about Sita and Raman, Satyavan and Savitri. The introduction gave me hope that I will be able to read more about the Indian Epic love stories. However, when I read the story, it did not give me any details. It only provided a very short summary of what happened. I wish the author added details of how the Sita's kidnap happened, how they met Hanuman etc. I wanted to know more about how Satyavan and Savitri fell in love. However, I liked how the author decided to tell the story in a diary form. 
Google images: Sita And Rama
The third story I read was Sita and Rama. I picked this one because it was titled Sita and Rama. After reading love dairies, I wanted to know more about Sita and Rama. When I finished reading this storybook, I was like OHMYGOSH!!! I really loved this story. The author's introduction lead us to what to expect in the story while keeping  suspense.  The ending was definitely amazing.  The author's writing style made me hooked to the story. My head was filled with imaginations and pictures from reading this story. I really enjoyed reading it.  I liked how the author mentioned the conflict in Sita's mind about her marriage. Even though she loved Rama, she didn't have much of choice on her wedding decision because the final decision was up to her dad. Coming from an Indian background and traditional parents whom wanting me to get an arranged marriage, I was able to relate to Sita on this issue. In addition, I enjoyed the way the author portrayed the story. The therapy session idea was definitely creative. This was my favorite story out of the three stories I have read.

Links to the storybooks
https://sites.google.com/site/hennessyelephantstorybook/home
https://sites.google.com/site/lovediarieszaveri/home
https://sites.google.com/site/sitaandrama/home




No comments:

Post a Comment